It’s quite a fascinating sight to spot an electric bicycle in India. The revolutionary bicycles powered with Lithium-ion technology surely attract attention everywhere they go. The stylish looking bicycles will get you from one place to another without dropping a sweat.
So what is an electric bike?
An electric bicycle is also known as an e-bike. It’s basically a regular bicycle that is powered by a motor which takes out some effort of pedalling. However, keep in mind that these bicycles are meant to augment human power, not completely replace it.
Why would you buy an electric bike?
There could be endless reasons to buy an electric bicycle. Some common reasons are listed below:
- You want to cycle but don’t want to sweat a lot or at all.
- Feeling lazy on your everyday commute and don’t wish to exert but a bicycle is still your first choice to commute.
- Might be suffering from a leg injury or illness and riding an electric bike with a motor might just help reduce the stress on your legs.
- If you wish to travel with lots of cargo, the added motor will make spinning the pedals far easier.
- Either way, there is plenty of reason you would want to ride an electric bicycle in India.
But before you head out to buy the Best electric bicycle in India, there are a few more things that need to be kept in mind.
Comfort and quality can be of supreme importance, however, while buying the best electric bicycle, you need to consider the motor. Electric bicycles come with a wide variety of power ratings starting from 200W. However, every city has its own limit.
At present, certain electric bikes fall under the exempt category on account of power less than 250 watt and maximum speed less than 25 kmph.
An electric bicycle with higher ratings will pull more weight with ease, but at the same time consume more battery. On the other hand, a 250W will drain the battery slowly and carry weight with lesser ease.
So where is this motor placed?
This motor is generally placed in the front or rear wheel. When engaged, it pulls or pushes the wheel along. These types of electro bicycles are very common in India and have one major disadvantage, it loses efficiency on hills and varied terrain.
While you do get from one place to another, you loose on the ability to get the optimum amount of torque or speed failing to use a full gear range.
The best electric bicycles are those that come with a mid-drive motor, which is integrated with the crank and the gears.
Advantages of an electric bicycle with a mid-drive motor:-
- Offers better effective hill climbing power.
- Enhanced performance while spending less battery energy.
- Improved handling as the motor is positioned closer to the ground.
Type of battery:
The type of battery plays a crucial role when it comes to buying the best electric bicycle. The weight, design, gear range and style are directly proportional to the type of battery.
SEALED LEAD ACID (SLA)
Sealed acid batteries is where standard batteries were used in electric scooters and bicycles. However, even today, most of the e-bikes use SLA batteries.
- Quite heavy and bulky
- Offer a shorter riding range
- Last for about 100-300 full cycle charges
- Require more maintenance
- Need to be charged immediately after use
Latest in the battery technology, lithium battery has a lifetime roughly 2-3 times that of an SLA battery. They are much lighter and maintenance free.
- Lightweight batteries offering a high-capacity
- Offer a longer riding range
- The longer life span of about 800 charges
- Very expensive as compared to SLA
How do I operate an electric bike?
There are three modes that you get on an electric bicycle.
Just like a regular bicycle, you can pedal an electric bicycle with a regular one. Besides, there is no extra resistance created by the motor, so it will feel similar to a regular bicycle.
The pedal assist mode lets you take advantage of electric power + human. Simply turn on the mode on the handlebar and the motor will provide a gentle push as you pedal forward. Besides, you switch gears as well as the terrain changes to take advantage of more torque or faster speed.
It’s an amazing feeling to use pedal-assist mode, as it makes cycling effortless, flattens out the hills, and allows you to just enjoy yourself and the scenery.
With this mode, let the motor do the work. All you need to do is simply twist the throttle and feel the motor take control as you propel forward. Hold the throttle if you wish to continue along or let go if you wish to pedal.
Toutche Helieo: Starting from INR 49,900/-
Recently launched In india, Toutche is a brand that started its story in Mysore. As compared to other bicycles in the market, toutche bicycle frames are much lighter and sleek looking. Their bikes are available in three variants.
2. The M200 &
Theese electric bicyles come with detachabale Li-ion batteries, 6 speed gears, Pedal assist and a lot more. If you are looking for a smart commute green vehicle, this one is for you. The best part of the bicycles is that they can be ridden like normal bicycles without the batteries. In 2020, the brand does aim to bring more frame sizes instead of just one.
Bergamont E Helix 6: INR 179,000
If you are looking for a premium electric cycle to zip around town or go to your office or just squeeze in a workout, consider looking at the Bergamont E- Helix 6. With one full charge the bike can take you upto 120 km.
Elektron Hybrid Bicycle m368: INR 33,999/-
Elektron is an electric bicycle company in India, Chandigarh. After a lot of research, they launched their first bicycle way back in 2016. Made from Lightweight alloy 6061, the Electron m368 might look like a regular MTB but it’s more than just that. With the battery cased inside the frame, there’s no way you have to worry about theft. Pre-installed front light, a horn, reflectors, and mudguards, you don’t need to spend anything extra on accessories.
- Lightweight 6061 Aluminium alloy
- Double walled Aluminium alloy rims
- Tires: 27.5″ X 2.1”
- Front Suspension: Aluminium; Travel: 60mm; Coil Spring
- Weight around 21.5 kgs
- The battery is placed inside the frame of the bicycle
- Equipped with disc brakes
- Maximum speed at 25 kmph
- Equipped with a mudguard & carrier
- Rear Derailleur used is Shimano RD-TZ50
- Wide Alloy Griping Pedals
- Suitable for riders with a height between 4’9″ to 6′
- Comes with an LED battery meter and the ODO meter
Electrical & Battery Specifications:
- The motor used is a 250 Watt brushless with 35 NM torque
- The bicycle uses 281 Watt hours battery by LG (36 V / 7.8 AH)
- Can be ridden for 35 to 75 Kms
- Battery charge time is 4-5 hours
When you are buying an electric bike, the performance of the bicycle is likely to vary. The lighter you are, the more is the range of the bike. While riding uphill as well, the bike range again will vary. And let’s not forget, the bike comes with a 1-year warranty.
Being Human BH27 E-Cycle: INR 53,999/-
A brand owned by Salman Khan, Being Human also has its own E- cycles in India. Currently, they have two electric bicycles that are available, that are priced at a higher price point. The models are available in red, black, white and yellow colour variations.
- The bicycle comes with a steel frame
- The electric cycle’s battery is concealed in the frame
- Comes with a front suspension that can be adjusted
- Equipped with a led headlight and LCD panel to show speed, range, battery level and voltage, etc
- Equipped with 7 speed Shimano gear system
- The max speed is 25 Kmph
Electrical & Battery Details:
This best electric cycle comes with 5 Pedal Assist modes (PAS). The battery used is 36 V, 7.8 A Samsung cell (Around 281 Watt-hours – Similar to the cycle by Elektron)