Are you a participant of power sports events where bikes are used to ride around the pits? If yes, then motocross bikes are meant for you. Owning a motorbike is of great esteem however it must be kept in mind that merely owning the vehicle is not sufficient as it requires proper upkeep too. Since these bikes are concealed aggressively, these need high quality repair and maintenance services.
Although different components of your motocross bike are important, it is the valve which needs utmost attention. Adjusting the valves of your bike engine is not that intimating and mysterious as it sounds or looks. The key maintenance process can be done by anyone who possesses few basic tools.
In both practice and concept, the mechanism of adjusting the valves of your motocross bike engine is very straightforward. Noteworthy, these valves act as doors to your bike's combustion chamber, facilitating the fresh mix to flow at the time when the stroke intakes. This further seals the chamber when there is power stroke and compression, allowing the gas to exit which was spent when the stroke exhausted.
Process of adjusting valve on motocross bike:
The engine of motocross bike is generally designed to be used in sport events; his regular inspection of valves is necessary. Although not difficult, this process is actually a manipulation which needs patience and attention on owner's part.
• Remove the plastic and saddle or any other aesthetic part which could interfere with the process.
• Dismount the cylinder head cover and you will see distribution chain and camshafts.
• Take out the ignition cover.
• Analyze the valve adjustment. For this you can have a look at the owner manual and compare with the actual adjustment.
• Make a mark on the chain and sprocket so that you have free access to camshafts.
• There are screws that hold the camshaft. Unscrew them and take them out quietly.
• Take out the pads by using a magnet which is very thin.
• Replace the pads with the ones which have correct thickness.
• Next take out the pellets and use a magnet for putting them back in their place.
• Following this, put the camshaft back.
• Check for the valve clearance and if it is not appropriate, check the valve adjustment again.
• Place the different peripherals, head cylinder cover, and ignition cover back.
Even though the valves live / work in harsh environment, they require less routine maintenance as compared to other components. On an average, these valves need nothing more than a yearly lash inspection together with an occasional adjustment so that your bike rides smooth and safe. With little mechanical skills, you will be able to have a perfect grass on the tasks that you perform with your bike, provided the valves are in good condition.
Keeping your motocross bike in effective condition will assure that you win the next race and feel a sense of triumph over your victory. So now get ready to win the race